My UK working visa is about to start - should I still travel to the UK?

My UK working visa is about to start - should I still travel to the UK?

Last updated 18th February 2021

If your UK visa start/entry date is upcoming, you're probably wondering if you should still consider travelling to the UK as planned....

We are all facing uncertain times due to current COVID-19 pandemic. This is affecting everyone worldwide and we are sure you are wondering if you should or should not travel to the UK at this time.

There is currently no travel ban to the UK for Australians, Canadians and New Zealand, but you must ensure that you check your countries official government website for travel advice before you go. For example, Australia has a travel ban, if an Australian Citizen or Permanent Resident wishes to leave Australia they need to apply for an exemption visa. See this LINK for more information. 

Your UK working visa will not be taken off you (or cancelled) by the UKVI if you fail to enter into the UK during your entry clearance validity dates (you will find this entry clearance sticker inside your current passport, showing the dates that you can arrive into the UK). This has been approved and it will NOT be cancelled on you. Your UK visa will remain valid, see this LINK for more information if your entry clearance has expired.

From the 15th February 2021 there are new rules to enter the UK please click on the links below for more information:

All about the NEW rules to enter the UK in 2021 – Restless World

NEW hotel quarantine rules for the UK! – Restless World

Below is a guide covering what you should check before you consider traveling during this COVID-19 Coronavirus pandemic.

What to do before you consider traveling to the UK

1) Check your home country's travel advice, looking specifically at whether the UK have enacted a full travel ban

Below are links to the UK, Australia, Canada, and New Zealand government websites for current travel advice and advisories.

UK - Travel Advice
Australia - Travel Advice
Canada - Travel Advice
New Zealand - Travel Advice

2) Check the UKVI and Home Office Guidance on Immigration

For more information, visit:


- - - - -

Coronavirus Immigration Helpline Email:
Telephone UK: 0800 678 1767
(Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm / calls are free of charge)
Due to Data Protection Regulations the UKVI can only speak to the visa holder or applicant about their specific query.

For more details & information, please check out our other COVID-19 related posts below: