Brexit, will it affect UK working visas for Australians?


You really want to live and work in the UK, but Brexit has caused confusion and you are just not sure anymore.

Well, don't worry, Restless World is here to make all those confusing new Brexit policies easier for you.

You are NOT an EU, EEA or Swiss national, so, what does Brexit mean to you?

Brexit won't affect you in the slightest, and the UK Working Visas that are currently available to Australians and other Commonwealth nationals won't change either. You still have access to the Tier 5 UK Youth Mobility Visa, UK Ancestry Visa, UK Settlement Visa, UK Tier 4 Student Visa, Right of Abode, Sponsorship Visa, Charity  and Sports/Creative Visa.

These visas are still available to all non-EU citizens as long as you are eligible for them -

It's still great news if your an Australian, New Zealander or Canadian and you want to live and work in the UK. You are aged between 18 - 30 years and have no children, the Youth Mobility Visa will not be affected by Brexit, if anything, we believe the Brits will just want you even more. Australians, New Zealanders and Canadians have such a good reputation in the UK, that after Brexit you are going to be in even greater demand.

Did you know that the Ancestry Visa won't change either? All you need is a grandparent born in the UK, have a valid Commonwealth passport and you've earnt yourself a five year UK working visa! You can play sport, act, study and pretty much work in any industry!

Ok, so you are an Irish Citizen (you have a valid Irish Passport). It's all good there too! You can enter the UK the same as you always have and still live, work and study.

So, this leaves the EU nationals, EEA and Switzerland and what it means for you:

You need to have started living in the UK by 31 December 2020 and you need to apply for the EU Settlement Scheme (by 30th June 2021) to be able to live in the UK after 30 June 2021. If successful, you will be given settled or pre-settled status. If you arrive in the UK after this date, you need to have a certificate of sponsorship from a licensed UKVI employer to able to apply for a Tier 2 visa. 

For more information on the EU Settlement Scheme see this LINK.