Irish Working Holiday
Ireland, Australia and New Zealand have a reciprocal agreement under which each country allows young citizens from the other to fund a holiday through casual work. Each of the schemes is open to applicants aged 18-30. The schemes allow participants to work for a maximum period of six months with any one employer.
Because Australian/ New Zealand citizens do not require a visa to enter Ireland, the scheme is not based on a visa, but on a Working Holiday Authorisation. This allows a qualifying traveller to engage in casual or temporary work in Ireland without the need for a work permit.
The Authorisation must be activated within twelve months of issue or it will lapse. It is not possible to extend the period of validity of Working Holiday Authorisations, or to accept a second application from someone who has already been granted an Authorisation (whether or not they availed of it).
The current Working Holiday Authorisation is activated by arrival of the holder in Ireland. The holder is subject to normal border immigration controls upon arrival. Applicants must have sufficient funds to support themselves for at least the initial part of the holiday or in the event of failing to secure employment. The Authorisation is valid for a period not exceeding 12 months after entry into Ireland.
Here’s how to make the cut for this visa:
- Be aged between 18-30 years old (up until the day before your 31st birthday).
- Be a passport holder from Australia or New Zealand.
- Have $2,500AUD/NZD in your bank account and a return ticket at the time of application, or $5,000AUD/NZD without a return ticket.
- Will not intend to undertake any formal studies.
- Have not travelled to Ireland at any other time as a working holiday maker.
When you sign up for our Irish Working Holiday Authorisation service we’ll:
- Supply you with the correct application forms
- Supply you with a step by step guide on how to apply and what supporting documents you will need.
- Assist you step-by-step with completing the application form
- Review your application to ensure it is correct and complication free prior to submitting
The current Irish Embassy fee is $95AUD or $120NZD to process the application. Current processing times are approximately 3 weeks if there are no complications. By paying an additional $100AUD the Irish Embassy will process a complication free application in 5 working days.
We think it’s a great idea to complete our Online Visa Assessment just to make sure you’re applying for the right visa.